Friday, January 23, 2009

If you build it...



There are those that say if you visualize something there's a better chance of it materializing in the real world. (ie. "If you build it they will come") While I have had some luck last year getting my photos published in a magazine (thanks to the fashion editor at FAB magazine, Max MacDonald) and some newspapers this year I'd like to concentrate on getting more magazine work... with a studio budget.

And so with the help of a photo session taken yesterday with Ashley Wolstat, model turned actor, I've created this mock up of what might be seen on a magazine, somewhere, some day.

As a personal assignment it's good to know how to frame up a shot for a magazine cover as you need to compose the shot so that you're leaving room for the magazine's title and barcode spot. The beauty of shooting medium format is that you can just shoot, then later once the slide is digitized at 100 megapixels you and pretty much crop out what you don't need.

Since I wasn't shooting with a medium format, I was shooting with my D700, I had to set up the shot in advance in my head with the thought of where all the magazine text would be floating around.

So now that there's an example of work floating around the web ether we'll see if this affects the jobs I get flowing in. Fingers crossed.

If you're feeling a bit stuck in the new year and need help getting motivated out of your rut check out the motivatorman web site and blog.

3 comments:

Emmanuel Lopez - Motivatorman said...

Now this is what I'm talking about! Way to go Derek for making that magazine cover mockup. I loved it!

That's law of attraction in action. Soon you'll be on countless magazine covers!

And thanks for the plug. Most appreciated.

Emmanuel
Motivatorman

Anonymous said...

When your magazine hits newsstands, I want a feature about my photography! Notice my use of the word "When?"

BagelHot said...

I like it!!! That would be great to have a magazine that features all my friends work! hmmmm...