Thursday, November 12, 2009

On to Philadelphia



Our journey starts here at the Union station GO bus stop (N43° 38.741' W79° 22.598'). It is here that I will wait for a GO bus to get to Hamilton.


Breakfast at Steve's Open Kitchen

In Hamilton I meet up with Marybeth (Hawkeye Fierce), Scot, and Pulled Pork (two of the Hamilton referees) at Steve's Open Kitchen (N43° 15.148' W79° 52.270'). We have breakfast then travel to Scotty to change cars. While there I test out the GPS by creating a way point over his bathtub. We will use this way point for reference over the course of the weekend to see how far we've travelled. There's no logical reason for using the bathtub as a reference only that it's funny (to me anyway, maybe to Marybeth as well but note that she laughs at everything)


A mural

While in Syracuse in the back of the car I take a photo out the window so I can check later to see if the GPS camera combination is working. As you can see from the URL here (N43° 3.188' W76° 9.120') it is.


Farm house

Taking photos from a car is pretty fun if you can locate the places later. (N42° 48.083' W76° 7.350')



For lunch we stopped off at a Burger King (N42° 47.990' W76° 7.457'). I am always fascinated with the way things in the USA are presented to the customer. I realize this is Burger King and maybe I haven't been to one in Canada for a while but I did take notice of the signage and food wrappers. It should be noted that in Canada we do not have burger shots. Years ago there was the Burger Buddy. Three little burgers that came in one container. They didn't do too well and were abandoned much like the McRib at McDonald's. Perhaps the burger shots are a way to reintroduce the little burgers once again.


Burger shots


Scotty at Burger King


Packaging


Crisp O Matic, a hole that lets out steam from french fries - I love it


More burger packaging. Note: There are six mini burgers


Gas Station (N42° 47.957' W76° 7.299')


Current gas prices for reference


N41° 52.840' W75° 43.357'


N41° 50.101' W75° 40.873'


N41° 49.900' W75° 40.842'


pack of two hard boiled eggs

We stop for gas and a washroom, snack break at the local Wawa store (N41° 4.241' W75° 42.229'). I find these packaged hard boiled eggs. For me it's right up there with the plastic bag containing a single pickle - weird.


Medical ad

Here's another way to know you're in the USA as opposed to Canada. Medical Ads (N39° 57.460' W75° 9.777'). There seems to be a lot of them. In Canada medical ads aren't as prominent and if you do see an ad for a hospital it isn't written up like you won a lottery.


The Hard Rock Cafe (N39° 57.097' W75° 9.594')


Bus stop ad for this year's WFTDA Nationals (N39° 57.111' W75° 9.610')


bus stop wider view


N39° 57.007' W75° 9.720'


Philly cheese steak sandwich in Philly


Inside McGillins


McGillins


Looking out the hotel window at City Hall (on Market Street)

It seems ironic that the GPS receivers, both the Garmin and the TripMate, weren't picking up any satellites in the city I decided to test them in. I'm not sure why this is.


Lobster


Strychnine and B-Train


Meanwhile just outside the lobby


Charlotte Bruise a lot and J.P.


It's the kids from Montreal


It's Val Capone


Subway entrance


The guy we bumped into walking around at night

Being that it was only 2:30am and being in a new city I thought it would be a good time to explore the city.  Why not?  Getcha Kicks joined me and we headed toward City Hall.  On our way we met this guy that was lost.  He had a map.  We attempted to help him out and after a bit of conversing found that he was just in Toronto for fashion week.

The world became smaller as I told him we were from Toronto and I had photographed Toronto fashion week.  From there he gave Kicks a hat but then took the hat back and gave her his glasses.  I'm not sure why.  After getting them to pose in a bunch of photos we say good bye and Kicks and I returned to the hotel


Having fun in downtown Philly (N39° 57.191' W75° 9.886')


Trying to help with directions


Posers


More posing


Even more posing


Still more posing


The clothes peg (N39° 57.141' W75° 9.918')

No comments: