Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Captain Hill versus the Beach

Captain Hill eating veal sandwich

Going to the beach seemed like a good idea this morning when I couldn't think of anything else to do.  I figured I should get outside for some fresh air and at the same time bring Captain Hill out for an adventure (aka photo shoot).

Since getting her back from Mean Little Mama she hasn't used the hamster wheel.  I'm not sure why.  It's possible she's gotten too fat...  er... big to use it.  It could also be that it fell over with her in it once too often back when it was supported by a stand and not attached to the cage wall.  What ever the case may be I thought it would be good for her to get out of the cage and get some exercise.   Plus the scenery change couldn't hurt could it?

It took about 3 hours to get the beach.  Stopped off to get a veal sandwich at Nonna's, then stopped off at the hardware store to get a garden shovel, then stopped off at McDonalds to get a large orange juice (the plastic cup would be used to help make the sand castle).  We took the Queen street car leisurely across town to end up at Leslie, about 15 minutes walk from Coxwell.  There was construction that wouldn't let the streetcars  go any further.

I stopped off under a picnic station (a bunch of picnic tables under a roof in the park) to eat my sandwich.  I gave some of the veal to Captain Hill.  She actually liked it and I got some funny photos of her eating.

The hamster book recommends that you feed a hamster some kind of meat once a week.  The protein can be live crickets, dog food, or some mind of cooked meat (excluding pork - because it's too fatty).  So veal it was.

We then went down to the beach where I started creating a sand castle which came to look more like a sand pit with cup shaped mounds.  In my brain I thought it could be a simplified hamster scaled down version of Easter island.  Sure why not?

The shoot went well.  Watching the hamster waddle toward the lake to be caught in the small waves of water was interesting.  Being a desert animal I don't think captain hill liked the water much.  She would wander back onto the sand to dry herself.



Ears back.  Captain Hill seems put off by the new sandy surroundings

In the "sand castle"

"Duck and cover"

The sand blowing has stopped

looking around the beach.

happy trails
Captain Hill meets the water



No comments: