Friday, July 04, 2008

Random Technology and Mask Making


Hilary waiting in front of Rol San.

Met up with Hilary for a dim sum lunch at Rol San. Then, it was off to Best Buy where I took a look at a GPS, the Garmin 250w. It was on sale. I had bought one last week for Marc's birthday, kind of got hooked on it, and thought I'd pick one up for myself. I had asked the person I was dealing with at Best Buy that week what the difference was between the 250w model in the box as opposed to the 250w model in the blister pack. They told me it was the same model and that I could get either one of them.

This week was a bit different. The salesperson said they were both the same but they were sold out of the model in the box. When I went to pick up the 250w in the blister pack it was $40 more. The flyer that I had expired on the 3rd, yesterday. Drat! I checked this week's flyer and it was in there again on sale for $40 lower than the regular price . yea! I showed the ad to the Best Buy person. She scanned in the blister pack and told me it wasn't on sale only the model in the box was on sale. Boo. In the end I didn't pick up the GPS.

A little about the GPS. My Telus cell phone has a GPS in it. It costs $10 a month to use it. Not that I get lost much and as I usually have a map on me you might ask, "Why in the world do you want a GPS?". Yes, It's true, the GPS does tell you where you are. Want street you're on, how fast you're moving, and the direction you're pointing. It also can tell you where the closest gas station is, where the nearest theatre is, and give you a constantly updated route to a destination (including directions to a postal code).

"So why not just use you call phone?"

As it turns out the cell phone GPS does not work once you go over the border to the States due to roaming fees and a different network. What good is that then? I want a GPS not a CPS (Canadian Positioning System). Plus an on going charge of $10 would buy me a substandard GPS in two years as opposed to just buying a real one. Yes it's that kind of logic that keeps me up at night.

In the end I couldn't justify an impulse purchase for $260.00. It'll be compass and maps for me for the next little while. Hilary on the other hand bought a 2 gig shuffle.


Hilary's newly acquired shuffle.


Adam and Jay

On the way to Hamilton I bumped into Adam and Jay. They were taking the subway and had gotten into the same car as me. Just another random occurrence of bumping into people I know. According to my friends this happens a lot to me. What's a lot?

Meanwhile in Hamilton I got stuck outside Melanie's studio. Melanie wasn't there yet and Jackie didn't hear the door bell ring (if it did ring - supposedly it's a bit wonky). So while waiting for Melanie to arrive I walked over to the nearby parking lot and walked up to the top floor to shoot the sunset. It kept me busy for about 20 minutes before going back to the studio where I bumped into Lydia calling up to Jackie on her cell phone.


Sunset over Hamilton

The masks were made out of strips of cheese cloth and plaster bought in a ready to go roll. All you had to do was cut out the strips, add water, and plop them onto a petroleum jelly coated face. The petroleum jelly would ensure that when the mask was removed (once it was dry) your eyebrows (and any other facial hair) remained intact to your face.


Jackie gets her face plastered


Me in Plaster (Photo by Melanie Gillis)

The plaster took about 15 minutes to dry before you could remove it. Add to that time the application of putting the strips on you were there in the same position for about half an hour. It was pretty relaxing having people work on your face while you leaned back. Except when plaster seemed to gravitate toward my closed eyes the whole process was quite relaxing.


Lydia checks for unsymmetrical imperfections in her mask

Once the plaster had more time to dry (off your face) some of us added more plaster to make the shell a bit more durable and smooth. Jackie, Amanda, and Lydia also started painting their creations. By this point I was just happy to take photos and dint' want to get my hands dirty again.


Amanda's red painted hands

It was almost 3am when we decided to call it a night on the mask making. Amanda's hands had red painted all over them that reassembled dried blood. We tried photographing the hands for prosperity. The lighting was odd. I figured out it was some of the studio's light seeping into the photo. I turned the lamp off which solved the lighting problem but that put us in complete darkness and I couldn't focus. This is where a small flash light would have helped. Above is the blurry hand photo.


"That's not Kleenex."

As a final note... on the way to Melanie's in Lydia's car I found this package that at first thought was kleenex. I thought I'd share as the writing on it gave us in the back seat (Amanda and me) a few chuckles. I think it was the usage of the word "sneaky". Maybe we were just tired by that point.

No comments: