Pickled eggs in a jar
- vinegar (enough to fill jar)
- eggs (as many as you want that can fill jar)
- cloves (1 tablespoon)
- peppercorn (1 table spoon)
- chili pepper (1 table spoon)
- bay leaf (1 leaf)
Step 1: make the pickle mixture
- pour 1/2 of vinegar in jar, add cloves, peppercorn, chili pepper, and bay leaf.
- Close jar with lid and shake to mix.
- Let sit.
Step 2: make hard boiled eggs.
- fill pot with water, add eggs
- place on stove until water boils.
- once water boils move pot off hot element and wait 18 minutes (the eggs will still be cooking)
- after 18 minutes cool eggs off by running cold water into pot replacing any hot water
- peel eggs
- poke eggs with a fork (to let pickle mixture seep into eggs)
Remember to poke your eggs
Step 3: Combine ingredients
- place unshelled eggs into jar with pickle mixture.
- add more vinegar to top off jar
- close lid
- place in refrigerator for 48 hours
Eggs will keep in the fridge for about a month. To help me keep track of the eggs, especially if I make multiple jars, I use a dry erase marker to write the date on the jar so I know how long the eggs have been in the fridge. If you look in the fridge and see a jar of black goo chances are the eggs have gone bad. I highly recommend opening the jar (if you have to open it) outside as it'll stink pretty badly. Remember due dates on containers are there for a reason.