Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Gopher It!


An odd little visitor making the rounds.

I was just getting out stage one, the set for Mayday, heading to the truck when James noticed this little critter roaming around a few meters away. The gopher (I think) came closer then scurried away into the bush. James tried to coax it out with a left over french fry. It worked. I took this picture, then we left.

Gophers seem to be rare within the city limits. Usually one might spot a raccoon, or maybe even a skunk. Come to think of it a few nights ago we (Ryan, Kim, and I) actually did see a raccoon. It was crawling up a telephone poll trying to get away from us. Later on it climbed back down when it figured out that there was no where to go.


A baby raccoon.

If I should run into a skunk it goes without saying I will be sure to use a long lens.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. I think thats a ground hog, not a gopher. Im from ALberta, then moved to Toronto. No I know the fauna of both areas. Im writing from Japan, where there are no gophers, Racoons, groundhogs or anything. I cant even find the apostrophe on the Japanese keyboard.

Anna Pet said...

I like this post....those pictures are so cute....what is the difference between a groundhog and a gopher anyway? How can you tell which is which?

BagelHot said...

The gopher appears in Caddyshack where as the groundhog (aka a woodchuck)appears in groundhog day. Yikes.

Anna Pet said...

Now I know...and knowing is half the battle. Thank you!