Sunday, February 20, 2005

Foolish Girl creator shows her stuff at gallery opening


Vesna Mostovac and her Foolish Girl silk screen piece.


Opening night at the Propeller Gallery, 984 Queen street west.

I received an invite to attend a gallery opening featuring 24 comic book artists, one of them being my friend Vesna. She built the Lego bank in my "Macho Baby!" movie. Up until this point I have never actually seen any of her work. Only the odd foolish girl graphic on a button, but not the animated cartoon or anything in a larger format. At the gallery she had a silk screen print (see above) and a small TV showing her work. I was tempted to turn up the volume but thought better of it.

There were hoards of people, crowding around looking at the artwork, listening to the band (the lost pilgrims), and talking to each other. The nice thing about comic book artists, at least at this venue, is that they were not, I repeat not, stuck up like your typical art person. Very down to earth and easy to talk to. None of that snooty art talk (ie. juxtaposition, symbolizes) to make you feel like a dumb ass. I liked these people.

I bumped into a lot of people there that I knew. For some reason I didn't think I would see them there as they were from different circles of friends. It seems that the different circles are actually one big circle of friends. "What, you know so and so?", "We've known each other for years. I didn't know you knew so and so as well.". It was that kind of night.

No comments: