Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The Long Wait


Mark demonstrates the LED fan

It's just 10 after 10 the morning. I'm rendering my second final pass on the final animation I've been working on. It's going to be a few hours. Meanwhile on the other computer I'm downloading my email. Someone has sent me a huge file and since I'm using my dial up account I've been waiting for quite a while.

I suppose I could have used the on line web mail reader to read the header. I've been getting a lot of spam lately. Chances are the email that's clogging the system is some large video file someone I know has sent me. Another beer commercial or funny gag film. At approx 10 minutes a megabyte, this six meg file will download for about an hour. Gads!

It wasn't that long ago, well maybe it was, that a 30k program took half an hour to load into the computer via a cassette tape. The 2001, 4032, 8032 Commodore pet. In some weird way I miss those days. POKE 144,88 disable the runstop button. POKE 32768, 255 placed a PI symbol in the top left corner of the screen. It's amazing all the hours spent in front of those old computers. It boggles my brain.

Andrew told me about this site for those that want to take the trip down memory lane (www.old-computers.com). It even has the first computer I ever used, the Exidy Sorcerer!

No comments: