Saturday, July 30, 2005

Camera stores


Toronto skyline 2005

I thought I would work the photo stores along queen street to see what's new in the tripod world. As my tripod has now been missing for several days I have decided it is gone and should replace the "lost" item with a new one.

My dad has a buying philosophy which resembles "Buy cheap, if it breaks (or you lose it) you can afford to buy another one.". I, on the other hand think the opposite, "If you buy quality it will last a lifetime and you'll save money in the long run because you'll just have to buy it once.". Now that I've lost the tripod that last statement seems rather naive.

In the end I picked up a Manfrotto 055MF4 (legs) with a 229 3D super-pro head. Compared to my old tripod the legs are in four segments instead of three. The advantage being the legs collapse slightly shorter than the 190pro but extend so the tripod is a bit taller. The head however is a heavy brick like thing. It's heavier than the head I had on my old tripod. I may try to pick up a lighter ball head later on when I get another paycheck. I was looking specifically at the Acratech ball head which is really nice and light. The only bad thing is that you have to buy a camera plate seperately and the camera plate requires an allan key to put it on. It's a really nice design though.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you think there's any truth to Zee's earlier comment? Hmm. That's a whole 'nother philosophy.

Have you reported the lost tripod to the police and visited all the pawn shops? If it's worth something and has any identifying scratches, marks or serial-number-type things, the police might take it seriously. Or, for less than the cost of a new one, perhaps you might've found the original one in a pawn shop. But perhaps not.

Etch your name and contact info in big letters on the new tripod. I hope its a beauty that serves you well forever.

Someday we'll all have microchips in our heads and little proximity beepers connected to everything important that we own...

Wade Marshall said...

I wouldn't mind picking up some lighter ball head myself.

Anna Pet said...

"229 3D super-pro head".

That sounds like one serious tripod. Do you like it better than the old one?