Saturday, September 05, 2009

Chocolate Bacon


Leanna with some curly fries.

Every few years the Canadian National Exhibition features some weird kind of food that you can't get too readily or anywhere else. A few years ago it was the deep fried mars or snickers bar. There's the CNE standard food of Tiny Tom donuts, the ice cream sandwich or the ice cream and strawberry covered funnel cakes... mmmm... funnel cakes.

I went to the CNE with Leanna with the express purpose of finding the booth that sells this year flavour, the chocolate covered bacon. I know what you're thinking... "Eeew. What the heck kind of abomination of food is that?" and "Who in their right mind would try that kind of stuff let alone pay money for it?".

The answer is... if you really haven't put the dots together by now it's the writer of this blog entry. If this is your first blog entry that you're reading of mine then yes, it is I, the guinea pig of flavourdom, the foodie adventurer, trailblazer of the taste bud. If you've been reading past blogs you should have figured out by now that I'm a person that likes to try different things (at least food wise). After all if the French can like eating mayo and fries, why can't we? BTW, mayonnaise also works with pirogies.

Granted your taste buds may disagree with mine but at least you'll know that you won't die from it, unless you have a food allergy or choke on the thing in question... okay, well you'll know that I didn't die from it.


Chocolate Bacon, it looked pretty much like this poster photo

After doing a few logistical sweeps walking around the CNE grounds we finally came across the booth selling the bacon covered in chocolate. I ordered one plate and we shared it.


The bacon brain washing begins

I was disappointed. Here's my taste bud breakdown of the experience...
  1. first, you taste the chocolate
  2. it was like syrup (in fact, I think it was)
  3. the flavor of chocolate dissipates to uncover the bacon flavour
  4. the bacon was soggy and not crispy enough.
  5. then it was just like eating soggy bacon
Soggy bacon... blah. Had the bacon been crispy it might have made the experience more enjoyable. I had to get that greasy taste out of my mouth. I bought a corn dog.


Leanna displays the 12 inch corn dog

To maximize the food eating experience at the CNE we ended up at the food building where we picked up a funnel cake complete with strawberry (what looked like sludge, very tasty sludge) and vanilla ice cream.


Strawberries and vanilla ice cream on a funnel cake

It was a nice cold/warm like of like hot apple pie with ice cream experience.

There was a free ice skating show themed to the title "Movie Magic" featuring Elvis Stojko. We managed to get second row seats, right behind the row of seats reserved for the VIPs and as luck would have it the two seats of the front row that were directly in front of us weren't there. We had a nice clear unobstructed view of the show, right in the center.

It was at this time I wished I had brought my 70-200mm lens.... ugh. Despite this I still managed to luck out and get some half decent photos using the 28-70mm. The skaters, including Elvis, skated right up to us. Woo hoo!!


Movie Magic Moulin Rouge on ice!


Elvis Stojko skates to the theme music from Kill Bill


Nice lighting on Elvis Stojko


Elvis skates by saying "Hello" to his fans

From the skating rink we made our way to the Dufferin gate to leave. We heard music coming from the bandstand. "Hey, is that the Pointer Sisters?", "It is! It is the Pointer Sisters". We detoured from the exit to go see them (another free show). Unfortunately we missed the first half or so but managed to get in for the last half while they were singing the song "Neutron Dance" from Beverly Hills Cop.


The Pointer Sisters

I managed to get up close to take a few photos before security shooed us away. I think I started a photographer photo pit it. Other people seeing me taking photos started to flood the front of the stage.


Leanna in front of the Dufferin Gate

On the way out I tried to pose Leanna under the lit arch to make it look like a pirate hat.

No comments: