Saturday, June 09, 2007

Derby in Dundas


The jammers take off on the second whistle

It was one of those days where I needed a break. I'd been working in my apartment with little exposure to the outside and now it was the weekend. Being a freelancer weekends really don't mean much to me other than the fact that other people have these days off. That and that events are usually planned for weekends to accommodate those 9 to 5, weekday type working people.



Weekends put emphasis on the fact that I've been inside so much. People call to ask "what are you doing?", "Are you awake?", "Are you alive?", "Do you want to grab food?". During weekdays most people have too much on their own plate to be concerned if you're around, let alone if you're alive or not. I know. I used to be a cog in that slow grind called consistent work. Usually by the end of the work day you were (or I was) too tired to take on any interesting activities other than make food and go to sleep.

This weekend was no exception. A whole slew of things were going on. Even if I did have time off officially there would be no way to attend them all. WoofStock (dog festival), Roller Derby in Dundas, NXNE (music festival), birthdays, erotic cabaret, Canadian comic book creator awards, and a whole bunch of other neat stuff.

In the end, after taking a inventory of the work I had to do, I decided to go shoot the roller derby. Leah, the team captain of the Steel Tank Girls, had invited me to the rink about a month ago. Shooting the derby is a challenge with the quick action and the low lighting.


SleazeBag #666 of the Steel Tank Girls


BJ Hooker #36-24-36 of the Hamilton Harlots


The audience fav, Cheese Grater #289 of the Steel Tank Girls


Fans

1 comment:

Judge Jodie said...

Hey B.H.
I'm glad you chose to spend the afternoon watching derby with us. Thanks for visually documnenting the Hammer City Roller Girls victory over Montreal.
Once again, great pics.
Judge Jodie
Hamilton Harlots