Sunday, June 17, 2007

Yonge Street


A guy on stilts, I had to take a photo

Yonge street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The longest street in north america. Today I wandered up part of it being a lazy sunday afternoon.


SAM the record man, a Toronto land mark, in it's last month of business

Yes, it's true SAM's is closing for good. Not that I've gone there recently to buy anything it's usually way overpriced compared to sunrise or HMV. Way back when I remember there used to be pretty good boxing day specials. I remember lining up one year to buy a Duran Duran LP (yes vinyl) for one dollar. That would have been around the same time I visited Mr. Gameways Ark up south of Bloor to see what loose Lego pieces I could buy for five cents while seeing what lead mini figures I could buy for Dungeons and Dragons. Yikes!

A flood of childhood purchasing memories are flooding back. Waiting for the Dungeons and Dragons game cartridge to come out for the Intelivision, trying to find cartridges for a handheld video game called MicroVision. There was a computer store just north of College called Computer Playground. They sold the intelivision cartridges. The sales guy was a jerk. He keep telling me to come back the next week as they'd have the game in stock. I think I went back there for two months before getting pissed off. Yeah, two months is a long time to be hosed by a sales guy, but I was still in my teens and there wasn't any other store that claimed to sell the stuff. My world was smaller back then.


Chalk drawing just south of College street


A blurry Roger at Monster Records

For some reason, Roger hates his picture taken unless it's blurry as all hell. Passing by Monster Records I shot this photo of him. It's pretty blurry all right.

In some store just north of Monster Records (which is just north of Wellesley) I saw this...


If you're going to look good for someone it might as well be Jesus...

It's a change purse with Jesus on it!

5 comments:

theotherbear said...

What is the last picture of?

BagelHot said...

It's a change purge with Jesus on it.

theotherbear said...

ahh it is too. for some reason i thought it was a tissue box. it makes much more sense now.

BagelHot said...

you mean it makes "cents"...

Zap Brannigan said...

Hey I just did a google search for Mr. Gameways and your blog comes up pretty high in the list. I don't think I knew that you were a regular there. I worked there in the mid to late 80s on the third floor (the games floor). I also went to the club all the time on the 4th floor which had the Enterprise bridge re-creation.