Saturday, November 01, 2008

Fashion Cares


"Rear Window" fashion

Fashion Cares or Fashion sCares, as there was a Halloween theme, is an event held in Toronto to help generate money to find a cure for AIDS. It's an event filled with good looking people (of both sexes) dressed to the hilt in evening wear and Halloween themed costumes. An amazing experience that included a giant color changing LED chandelier, a silent auction, roast beef sandwiches (if you you media), fresh horseradish, and an evening show.


Katy Perry sings "I kissed a girl"

I was there to shoot the evening show. As this was my first Fashion Cares event I really wasn't sure what to expect. I had heard from other photographer friends that the event had taken a nose dive since the 20th anniversary show featuring Pamela Anderson. Shows 21 and 22 were horrific. My expectations were understandably low.

The show started off with a costume contest, then hit high gear with a bunch of outfits shown with an Alfred Hitchcock theme, Katy Perry took the stage to sing "I kissed a girl", more Hitchcock fashion, Kreesha Turner singing the song from Entourage, then if the show couldn't get any better there was the grand finale with none other than Dame Shirley Bassey. She made her stage entrance singing Goldfinger.


Shirley Bassey sings "Diamonds are Forever"

She has an incredible voice that filled the room. The live band added to the bigger than life soundtrack. I was in awe, the singing of the other Bond movies "Moonraker" and "Diamonds are Forever" made the movie geek in me happy. She ended her stage performance singing "Big Spender" to a standing ovation.

No comments: