Saturday, February 14, 2009

Liquid Shoot


Spiked drink or Love Potion?

Valentine's Day. February 14th, 2009. A crappy day to go out as a single guy as most good restaurants are full with couples that reserved days in advance. Same goes with movie theatres, parks, the beach, and any other interesting venues. Candlelit dinners swarming with the guys selling flowers table to table. Yeesh! It's a good night to stay in and be productive.

I finally manged to empty most of my front room with all the boxes and junk clearing a large space. A space big enough to set up my flashes around a table. It's nice to use the flashes as they generally sit around in boxes waiting for the next photo shoot on location (someone else's location).

I'm not sure why but I've been wanting to photograph flowing water. Shooting with a strobe is great because you can freeze the water in motion. The first day I bought my first visatec solo 1600B I shot a pot of boiling water. Frozen in a photo the pot of boiling water looks more like a pot filled with hair gel. Kind of neat.

The pot I shot way back then shattered a few months ago in the kitchen disaster of 2008. I am potless but thought I'd still shoot moving water. Armed with a measuring cup of dyed blue water, some fake ice cubes, a J-cloth to soak up poor aiming, and a camera on a tripod with a shutter release cable, I went ahead full tilt. After a few hundred shots trying to get the water just right I decided to take my photography outside and play around with custom filters. Kind of neat for experimentation.


Love is in the air

As I write this I'm still photographing. Now back inside I'm trying to think of other things I'd like to shoot under studio lights.


Bottle-o-love

It's cheesy but it kept me busy for a bit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why does the 'died blue water' look pink?

Emmanuel Lopez - Motivatorman said...

Love that first photo!

BagelHot said...

I was playing around with photoshop CS3. I changed the color to pink in post. Other than watermarking my photos which I still do in Photoshop 5.5, I really don't use photoshop much.

I decided that I'd fiddle around with it a bit since I own the thing and it's collecting dust (so to speak).