Thursday, February 15, 2007

Three roaches, three times the fun


Three cockroaches in a jar are worth four on the floor

After just getting back from visiting Mary and Mike (some friends living in London) I turned on my hotel room light to find two roaches crawling around on the floor. I managed to catch one with the patented roach catcher (the creme brulee jar and the postcard) but the other one got away. It managed to crawl under the rug somewhere in the corner of the room.

I placed the newly caught roach into the yogurt cup with the first two roaches. They seemed to be doing great. The problem with the last photo of the roaches is that you really don't appreciate the largeness or smallness (depending on other roaches you've seen) so I took a picture with one of the roaches crawling up the side of the cup next to a pound sterling coin. Later on I'd realize that some people may not know how large the coin was and next time I'll try to bring a ruler of some sort.

I spent most of the night until around 5am or so going through the day's photos and backing them up onto the portable hard drive. It was during this time that I kept a vigil eye out for anything else moving on the ground. Then around 4:30am the forth roach (maybe the one that got away, but probably not) came out of the shadows and was crawling toward the camera bag.

I had put the camera bag on my foldable stool. Since the roaches couldn't climb smooth surfaces I figured the stool was smooth enough that the roach wouldn't be able to crawl up it. That's when I noticed the camera strap on the floor which lead right into the bag. Whoops. I managed to catch the forth roach on it's hike up the strap and added him to the jar with the other three.

It is understandable then that when I woke up four hours later I was tired. I managed to drag myself down to the BFC tent to shoot the Ashley Isham catwalk. I'm glad I did. They had converted the catwalk into a long mound of "snow" with a leafy evergreen background. In some weird way it reminded of back home. Even though we don't have evergreen trees everywhere (at least not in Toronto) there was a big fat snow storm yesterday back in Toronto according to various emails I received. I'm not there.... Woo hoo!!!


Caution tape is placed around the catwalk to prevent people from walking on the catwalk


I thought the bow took away from the dress


Snow for the beginning and ending of the show added a nice touch



size zero bad? This designer doesn't think so.

With all the hype going on around now with banning size zero models from the runway it was interesting to see this designer sporting this shirt. I'm not really sure where I am on this subject. There will always be a body type that society deems appropriate and there will always be people that will have a different opinion. In the end I suppose what we should be asking is "Are we healthy?"


Gearing up for the Betty Jackson show in the BFC tent


Casual wear by Betty Jackson

This seemed like an odd hat to me

Betty Jackson, designer


Josie and Mary come out of the fashion tent while Enzo sits outside getting some air.


Hyde Park Corner


The wall o pigeons.

As for today, it was a pretty easy shoot day. I only shot two catwalk shows before making my way to the Metropolitan to take a few shots of Vanessa, a model who was hired to help showcase Andrew's designs to potential buyers and press. Originally from Chile, Vanessa moved to London to work on her modelling career with possible plans to move to L.A.

The afternoon was spent in the hotel room taking photos of Vanessa in various outfits to be used later on. The hotel lighting was pretty bad. I had to resort to shooting with my sb-800 (flash).


Vanessa with cheesecake...


...modelling a Majtenyi designed dress.



Vanessa in a suit designed by Andrew Majtenyi.


Andrew and Vanessa exchange fashion modelling tips.

Andrew, Josie and I ended up going to a restaurant with this gourmet burger (costing 10 quid). It was okay but I think I still like the Lick's burger better. I ended up crashing on Andrew and Josie's couch in their hotel apartment.


A gourmet burger

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't follow this, but I think the whole zero-is-out thing is because a couple models died trying to attain their ideal. Death is bad. Death is not healthy. I think some of the runways are going by bmi's rather than just size, which is probably a better way to go.

Anonymous said...

I read a news article where some young girl died because she was trying to be as thin as the size zero models.

On the other side of the coin there's nothing stopping kids from getting too fat.

theotherbear said...

"Since the roaches couldn't climb smooth surfaces I figured the stool was smooth enough that the roach wouldn't be able to crawl up it"

Dude, you know what those big things are on a cockroaches back? WINGS! They can FLY! So nowhere was safe, basically.

Sydney has a dreadful cockroach plague at the moment. I had one fly in the bedroom the other night and land on my bare back. Ugh. I now sleep with my mouth shut.