Saturday, March 05, 2005

A Time to Shine


Hip Hop rap artists from The Dope Poet Society

Friday. I got to be photographer for a talent competition called "A Time to Shine". DJs, rappers to "Berry White"-ish or "Usher" type music played at this Bathurst/Bloor venue. The highlight of the evening for me being some DJ that had a rap version of AC/DCs "Shook me all night long" and the improv rap singing of the Dope Poet Society. I was so impressed by the dope poets that I even paid 10 bucks to buy their CD.

The CD, "ProIntelPro" is an anti-Bush statement with some interesting lyrics. Although not as fun as the impromptu lyrics including me with a camera taking pictures of them on the stage, the CD has got an surprisingly catchy beat even if it's does have a heavy political side to it.

The picture above was taken in pitch black darkness. I played around with the flashes a bit. I think they were getting a bit tired of making the serious rapper look. In the end I think they were happy with the results. yea.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is why white people should not rap.