Friday, May 13, 2005

Bruiser Brody


Bruiser Brody at Sneaky Dees. Thursday night.

It's about 2:30am. My ears are still ringing from going to Sneaky Dees. I went to see a group known as Bruiser Brody play. Turned out there were three bands playing that night and Bruiser was the last in line. The two bands that precceded Brody were The Threat and Phat Bastard.

Surprisingly, to me at least, the bands were great. The Threat had two great guitarists that jumped around stage while playing. Always a photographers dream. There's something to be said about shooting moving band members with low lighting and a crowds of people around. It's quite the challenge getting the people in the right position, with the right expression, mouth movement while doing something photo worthy. I wonder how the guys with film cameras do it. You'd only be able to shoot 36 pictures before you had to stop to change the roll. I suppose you could have multiple cameras, an assistant or change film during the inbetween song breaks.

Phat Bastard was another surprise. They had a brass section. A guy on a trumpet and a girl on sax. They had their own music and mixed in some cover tunes. From reggae to the Ramones. I found this group to have a lot of energy and a large crowd to go with it. Took some pretty good pictures of this band as well.

Finally on stage was Bruiser Brody. With a huge collection of props, a guy in wrestling tights, surrounded by two punk guitarists and a drummer they were the band with probably the best showmanship. Perhaps it was just the lead singer hamming it up? He looked like a neaderthal from the old Trek Series (the Omega Glory episode).

The highlight of the evening occurred while taking pictures of this band. While I was innocently snapping away I felt a hand on my ass. It wasn't a bump, nudge or close brush. It was full palm and all five fingers squeezing. I turned to see who it was. It was a girl in her twenties. She still had her hand on my butt when I turned around. It was like her hand was glued to my butt. Only after making eye contact did she sheepishly remove the offending hand. Did I feel sexually threatened, angry, or upset? Hell no.

For those of you wondering. "No", I did not get her number. She seemed kind of young. But to be honest I didn't even think about it at the time. It's not like a girl grabs my ass every day that by second nature I would ask for her phone number automatically. "Hi your hand feels great! Can you take it off my ass so you can write down your phone number? What you're ambidextrous?" Maybe next time. Putting the hand thing behind (har har) at the time I was too occupied trying to get better pictures of the band and wondering if that more expensive (the Nikkor 70-200mm 2.8 aperature with Vibration Reduction) lens would help in a time like this.

Technology before women. Could it be that's why I'm not dating? Don't answer that.

3 comments:

uncaringbear said...

Maybe she was trying to make a move on you to try to steal your camera equipment? Still, I'm surprised that you didn't make the most of the situation...
Back to lenses, I think you'd get better value with the 80-200mm than the super expensive 70-200mm VR. They're both very pricey, but the latter is even way pricier.

Anonymous said...

[Laer shakes his head in disbelief...]

No words...

Zee said...

You sure the concert you were at wasn't at Zippers?