Friday, October 27, 2006

Dating at the ROM

The highlight of my day would be to meet up with this girl. To bring you readers up to speed, for the last two weeks or so I've been emailing this girl. I'll refer to her as "the girl" to keep her identity secret as she likes her privacy. For those that know the girl please keep this to yourselves. Anyways, A few weeks ago I met this girl and we've kept in touch via email. We've both been busy. Me shooting fashion week and being sick and her being out of town for a while attending a wedding (not hers).

So as luck would have it, mine specifically, we made plans to meet up and today was the day. We ended up at the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM). To start off with it was her idea. In a lot of ways it's a great idea. You can casually look at things, talk, and in doing so get to know the other person. This is much better than going to see a movie as you don't really talk in a theatre and if you do you are shunned to the movie talker hell in a later life. It's the same hell that you go to when your cell phone goes off, a hell that's slightly better than the one you'd go to if you were to talk on your cell phone in the theatre while the movie is playing.

The big problem for me with the ROM is the fact that I never know how much time to spend looking at something. Am I looking at something too long or too little? Is the person with me getting bored while waiting for me to look at something? Are we even in an interesting section of the museum? Maybe spending time looking in the bat cave freaks them out.

Perhaps this uber-sensitiveness is a bit crazy but I've been around people like that... you could sense their boredom as you checked out stuff that interested you and in the end you couldn't really spend time looking at stuff to your satisfaction and keep the other person entertained long enough to not have them have their eyes glazing over. So for me the ROM was pretty intimating.

Surprisingly the date, can I call this a date, er... the meeting went rather well. I suppose I was just so into the girl that I didn't seem to notice the time being spent in front of anything or everything. Any objects we looked at or stood in front of seemed interesting in some odd way, they became a conversation piece. From the dinosaur skeletons on the main floor to some weird ass vase from the ming dynasty.

There was a point where we sat in a room with a lot of stuffed birds and just talked while watching kids open a drawer of bird poop, it was part of the exhibit. In the end I think it was her. There was definitely something about the girl because not once did I reach for my non-existent camera from my non-existent camera bag.

Yes, I left the camera bag and all the stuff inside it at home. This from a guy who's motto could be "Not from my cold dead hand..." or "If you see me without a camera then Hell's frozen over." or "If I don't have a camera some thing's wrong... the camera is busted or I am". It kind of gives you an idea how much I wanted to concentrate on the girl I suppose.

Come to think of it, I can't remember not having a camera on me since 2003, with the exception of being sick or my camera breaking that is. How crazy is that? When I fried the mother board on my camera all those years ago and had to bring my camera in for repairs, all month (before my replacement camera arrived from Ebay) I kept checking my bag to see if I lost something or where my non-existent Nikon 990 went to.

Kind of like when I forget my watch, another thing I rarely do, hence the perpetual white stripe around my un-tanned left wrist, every now and then I'll look at my bare arm for the time realizing the watch is at home on a table. Not having a camera on my person bugs me or bugged me until today. All because of a girl, well this one at least. In the end I can't say that's a bad thing.

3 comments:

Wade Marshall said...

You never want to be that "into" a girl on the first date. Here's some dialogue from "Something About Mary" that I think can help you out for next time.

====================

DOM
Okay, sounds like you're all set. Just clean the pipes and it's a go.

TED
Hm?

DOM
You know, clean the pipes.

TED
Pipes? What are you talking about?

DOM
You jerk off before all big dates, right? Tell me you jerk off before your big dates.

Ted just stares at him.

DOM (cont'd)
(incredulous)
You don't jerk off before--?! Are you crazy?! That's like going out there with a loaded gun. No wonder you're nervous!

Ted considers this.

DOM (cont'd)
Think about it: After you've had sex with a girl and the two of you are laying in bed, are you nervous?

TED
No.

Dom shrugs...Duh.

DOM
Why's that?

TED
I'm usually too tired to be.

Dom makes a game-show BUZZER sound.

DOM
Wrong. It's because you ain't got the baby batter in your brain any more. That'll fuck with your head, that stuff will.

TED
(starting to believe)
Huh.

DOM
The most honest moment in a man's life is the five minutes after he's blown a load. That's a medical fact. And it's because you're no longer trying to get laid. You're actually thinking like a girl. They love that.

TED
Jesus Christ you're right.

DOM
You bet your ass I'm right. You don't go out with a loaded gun, you empty the barrels!

TED
(shakes his head)
Holy shit, I've been going out with a loaded gun!

DOM
People get hurt that way.

Anonymous said...

After reading your entries over the last few months, perhaps years, my girlfriend and I think any "girl" that goes out with you should consider herself pretty lucky.

Not a lot of people will tolerate situations with the same compassion and stick their neck out for other people the way you do. Yes, we're still impressed with the whole photo slave idea and sticking it to your boss.

To summarize "you seem decent enough".

And if it doesn't work out with you two my girlfriend has a sister she'd want you to meet.

Anonymous said...

Holy Crap! Bagelhot with no camera! By choice! Someone pinch me I must be dreaming.