Monday, October 09, 2006

Manufactured Landscapes


A hot hamburger with tons of gravy.

Today's highlight was eating at the local restaurant for breakfast. It's a tradition that Dave, my cousin, introduced me to. It's great when you've just gotten up and are too lazy to actually cook for yourself. Plus I don't own a deep fryer and cooking french fries from the freezer takes too long for the pay off.

It takes 15-20 minutes to bake fries, in 2/3 the amount of time I could be dressed and in the restaurant eating a full on breakfast still bleary eyed. Also it's not good to cook while still asleep. Accidents can happen or burning of the food. Fire alarms going off in the apartment is not a good way to wake up.

The only other thing I did today was meet up with some friends to see the documentary "Manufactured Landscapes". A film that follows Ed Burtynsky taking photos. If you're not familiar with his work he shoots with a large format camera (film) and takes pictures of piles of waste, ships being dismantled, factory workers, strip mining and other human created landmarks.

It definitely is not a feel good movie. In fact it had the opposite effect on me. We're destroying our planet. As I stated earlier the breakfast was the high point of my day.

No comments: