Friday, January 21, 2005

Friday, One Week until rent is due



I woke up this morning to log into the various job banks. It seems that unless you're an accountant or a programmer, finding creative work really isn't listed. I found the Canada Job bank the most useless database for jobs. You can create up to three profiles so you can get email directly to you when a job is posted. Only if your job title doesn't exist you can't do anything, you can't even add new categories. I suppose I could be considered a media technician. That was the closest match.

I still haven't heard back from the production office. The last message was "We'll get back to you". Being friday night, my hopes are pretty much diminished that we'll get work there. (We = Darryl, Kiri, and myself). I can add the work I've done already to the pile of freebies.

To keep busy I made myself walk out to the beach. Despite Kiri telling me it was cold outside I still didn't wear my thermal snow board pants. Bad. Very bad. Although I was careful not to get wet this time, and it wasn't too windy, the cold was pretty harsh. I took a picture of the cheapo thermometer. It read -16ish (Celsius).

I felt like I was on some polar expedition with all my gear. Today I carried my dual camera mount so I could take stereo pictures, along with my usual other stuff (tripod, batteries, and of course the two cameras). The dual mount was like carrying a large frozen metal bar... actually it was a frozen metal bar. As soon as I took the dual mount out of my bag it just sucked all warmth from my hand. I was wearing mitts. They didn't seem to help.

I stayed out for about three hours and would have stayed longer to take more sunset pictures, there was a nice yellow glow to everything today, but my right hand was frozen. I'll have to invest in those little heater bags that you put in your gloves next time. It got to the point where I couldn't tell if I was pressing the shutter button with my index finger so I ended up using my pinky knuckle (the corner of my hand).

Eventually the cold crept into my shoes and froze my toes. It was about that time that I decided to take me and my stump of a hand back home.

In the picture above you can get an idea of how cold it was outside. This little shrub of some kind has been collecting moisture for a while now I would suppose and can be seen as all that ice.

No comments: