Sunday, June 19, 2005

Fringe Festival


Lateif a musican that creates sampled music using his vocal cords.

After a fine brunch with Darryl, Amanda, Rob, Roger, Abby, and Jill. I said my good byes and decided to take in more of the Fringe festival. Since I didn't have any work on Monday I decided to stay an extra day to look around, eat food, and just enjoy Montreal in general. Did I say there was cheap noodle food? Pai tai and chow mein? I wandered the streets until 7pm seeing the sights and stuffing my face. Eventually I made my way to a section of a park that had been turned into a stage for musical performances.

One guy in particular stood out. Latief had a recorder that would sample bits of music that he would make by making sounds into a microphone. Once a sequence was done he would layer another beat of vocals over the existing one. He would do this over and over resulting in a catchy rhythm. He did a version of the imperial march from Empire Strikes Back as you might hear it on a dance floor.

No comments: