Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Mosquitos, I hate them


The "nicer" location inhabited by one of the rampant chipmunks.

Tomorrow we're changing locations for shooting on Felicity so that we're in some large wooded area just north of the Toronto Zoo. I was there for a quick location survey for visual effects last week and noticed I was being eaten by a bunch of mosquitos. Not at first mind you. I'm sure I was bitten at least 5 times before I actually noticed one sucking the blood out of my hand and pinched the skin around the bite zone so blood would gush up into the insect making it explode. Take that you! In hindsight I wouldn't suggest doing this as the needle part of the little sucker stayed in my hand as the rest of the body blew up. D'oh.

Once I arrived home I noticed about 14 other bites on various exposed parts of my body. The neck, the arms, even one on the ear. The bites leave behind itchy little lumps that are a major irritant. I wonder if I could buy a bag, box, or container of dragonflys somewhere and release them in the mosquito infested area? Bats would work too but have a bad rep thanks to all those vampire movies. "I vant to suck your blud. Blah."

Not only are there mosquitos, supposedly the area also has poison oak. Wheee! Based on this recent data that I happened to get from the set decorator I decided to drop by mountain equipment co-op and pick up some trousers. (M.E.C. is a local camping, outdoor, clothing and gadget store chain here. - ed)

As an aside, since when did trousers have UV ratings? Yes it's true, my pants have a UPF rating of 45 (excellent protection, blocking 97.5% or higher of those nasty ultra violet rays) and complies with the AS/NZS 4399:1996 thingy. It seems pretty crazy that we even need a rating for clothing. Thanks to our depleating ozone layer. I like how there's a disclaimer saying the pants will not give as much protection when a hole occurs from wearing out. How dumb are people? It's probably put there so americans don't sue the company.

Why the pants you ask? This after all is shop talk about something other than camera, computer, or even entertainment gear. Today was 30 degrees C. Jeans are going to be too hot to wear so I thought I get some light, cool pants. Something to keep the poison oak and mosquitos (hopefully) at bay. Plus, I need new clothes anyway and as it's my least favorite thing to purchase it might as well be now. That 70-200mm lens will just have to wait that much longer on the shelf in the camera store.

Once we're finished shooting in the mosquito hell we head to a nicer part of town where cows roam, sheeps eat grass and chipmunks run rampant all under the watchful eye of a lazy 10 year old dog with arthritis. Woo woo!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you have an Aloe Vera plant, just break off a bit of the leaf and squeeze the fleshy inside onto the itchy bites. It really does stop the itch. Although you will end up with greeny slime all over you. Not sure if Aloe Vera grows in Canada though, it might be too cold for it?
What a cool idea to blow up the mozzie with your own blood. This I have to try!!!!! Was the needle bit hard to get out? Or did it stay in and make it more itchy? We have a ways to go till I can try this since we've just hit Winter over here and the mozzies won't come out in mass till spring.