Saturday, August 05, 2006

Circus


Leanna poses with the inflatable elephant

I woke up today at 11:30am, about two hours after having fallen asleep. At 9:00 I had to return the car I rented for the Thursday photo shoot. I returned the car and got back into bed. At 11:30 the phone rang waking me out me my not so great to begin with sleep. It was Leanna and she wanted to go the circus. Sounded like a good idea to me. After all, when was the last time I had even been to a circus? Definitely before I had a camera attached to me.

The idea of spending the day with Leanna was appealing as well. She's one of those people that seem to give off positive vibes (all the time), has a wacky sense of humor and is easy to talk to. What more could you ask for really? If the universe put her in a bad situation you'd shake your fist back at the universe and shout "Why? It's not fair!". It would be like a kid dying in a movie or some cute fuzzy animal being run over by a truck. If she were unhappy the whole world would be a gray, uncolorful, depressing place to live. But if the opposite were true then technicolor all around.


Leanna, queen of the circus

Perhaps my admiration is showing a tad but you get the idea. The whole point of this is to make you understand the actions taken in the next few hours. For those of you bracing yourself for another "biking in the snow to Mississauga" story. It's nothing like that (well not quite).

On the phone I was told to show up at 1:30pm. That's two hours to get to Bramalea. For you non-Toronto folk, It's a distance that can be covered in a car using highways that'll take half an hour to forty minutes on a good day. On a bad day, like today it would take longer. Just to get downtown would take me about an hour. Remember I just got out of bed. The whole getting dressed and washing up had to be taken into account.

Once ready I raced up to the rental car drop off to see if there were any cars available. None. This is the weekend of Caribana after all. One of the highest car rental weekends of the year. Maybe the highest. Taking the TTC I traveled across to Bloor and Yonge. There were two car rental places there. Avis and Hertz. Again, no and no.

Getting back on the train I made my way down to Union Station. I figured that if a car couldn't be rented I could always take the GO train. Three car rental places. Zero cars for rental. Okay train it is. Only, I found out that the train doesn't run on the weekend. D'oh! An hour left to go and the only way to get to Brampton was to travel back up north to the Yorkdale or York Mills station and take a GO bus from there. On top of that I'd have to walk from the GO bus station to her place. A walk that would take at least twenty minutes.

I ended up taking a cab. The downside was that it cost about as much as renting the car for the day. The upshot was that I got to Leanna's house at 1:20pm with 10 minutes to spare! We ended up going to the circus despite a neighbor of Leanna's saying it would be "lame".


An elephant under the big top

After all the circus was a small thing that took place under a big top located in a shopping mall parking space. Despite that there seemed to be an endless amount of entertainment for 2 whole hours. From juggling, to high wire acts, elephants, dogs, and even comedy with clowns. Kind makes me wonder why I don't go to the circus more often.


It's the elephant again


Twirl that girl.


The human statues - check out those abs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's really sad, cicuses are sooooo cruel to wild animals. I hope you didn't pay to get in. Boycott The Circus!!!!

Al