Sunday, November 20, 2005

Dave's move


David in his new apartment.

The big event on the agenda today was to help my cousin, Dave, move his stuff into his new apartment. As a person who has had to move in the past, seven times in eight years, and has had a lot of help moving, you kind of feel obligated to helping others move and pass around the moving Karma if there is such a thing.

I imagine that there are still moving "buddies" from my moves that probably wake up in a cold sweat because they had a nightmare that they're stuck under a heavy box of laserdiscs with no one around to help lift it off them. Guys in the gulf war are a bunch of sissy pants compared to the movers of the Move Hell of '03. Although all of them made it back, some didn't come back in one piece. Broken with the loss of innocence going into the move never again will they take moving for granted, the movers before them or the crap that is in a friends apartment.

Thanks to all those that served. Neil Hollands once described one of my moves like the scene with the brooms from the movie Fantasia. The unrelenting line of stuff going from one place to another.

Recently I've actually started going through boxes. The boxes that seem to get transported to the different places but never get opened. "That's where my _____ went!". It's incredible how much stuff one can accumulate over the years. I had boxes of old Apple computer magazines that were being lugged around. When I say Apple I mean Apple as in Apple II. For kids that means pre-Macintosh. Yes there was such a thing. Sheesh.

WARNING trip down memory lane

Back in the day when computer magazines actually had cool stuff in them. Long before "wired" type magazines came out where magazines just made up new jargon and had reviews on software, magazines actually had projects you could do. Programs you could type in with another program to check the program you typed in. Projects where you could use a soldering gun to make speakers, robots, sensor type things. It's all very dumbed down these days.

END of WARNING

So today, with the help of Terry and James, I pitched in to get my cousin to his new place. I believe Dave has set the record for moving. We did the whole move in under two hours. Two trips! Mind you the biggest thing moved was probably his drum kit.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog using Blogger's random link button. You take nice pictures.

Sock Monty said...

I hope David doesn't bonk his head on that low ceiling part...

uncaringbear said...

Do you remember Creative Computing magazine. I'm sure I still have an issue or two back in Walkerton.

Cupcake said...

Now that your cousin had lived with you for a few months, are both closer to one another now?