Monday, November 14, 2005

The Toronto Metro Reference Library


Five floors of fun filled reading

As it's starting to get really dark thanks to mister winter coming to Toronto, my apartment gets pretty dark. So much so that I have to turn on lights in order to read any books. I'm not sure what it is but I have found that if I read under tungston or fluoresent lighting I tend to fall asleep. I decided to go outside to somewhere with natural lighting. My first stop was a resturant just down the street from me. It's a hole in the wall. What attracted me to the place was a poster with cheap food on it. One of the dishes being the fluoresent orange chicken balls with fried rice.

The chicken ball, fried rice dish for only $3.99.

Outside I thought the resturant was just a take out counter. It seemed pretty small. Just a window and a door. Inside there's a rather large room with tables, chairs, and a outdoor patio. It was like finding Brigadoon or wandering into a Tardis. For such a neglected neighborhood this place was quite the oddity. I sat, ate and read for about an hour then decided I should move on to the next reading place.

The metro library is a rather large building with a lot of space and it seems (at least today) that there really weren't that many places to sit. Most seats were taken by students. I ended up sitting on the fifth floor under the windows in a corner. Unlike most Toronto libraries I've been to this one doesn't smell like books decomposing. Which is why I made the journey to the central location downtown.

The the last day or so I've been trying to get through this book I purchased a while ago on corrective lighting. It tells the secerets of how to light someone with "problem areas". Be it flab, reflection in glasses, or a big nose, this book explains how to put less attention on the subject by changing the position of the subject or changing the lighting. So far it's an interesting read.

2 comments:

Cupcake said...

Yeah, I sometimes get the craving for chicken balls with the glow in the dark orange sauce. Yum.

Anonymous said...

The Chinese food place in the food court at the Village By The Grange has a similar (but bigger and possibly better) meal. Combo#4, which consists of chicken fried rice (seemingly more than in your photo), breaded chicken (like the chicken ball things, but only in strips) and warm (but crunchy) veggies. Quite good, and around $3.99 as well, if memory serves. More food, I think, than the one in your photo.

Definitely the best deal (price and quality) that I've found.