Friday, November 04, 2005

Fun with extension tubes


Go from this...


...to this.

First off I would like to point out that the extension tubes I'm talking about are for the camera, not the nether regions for increasing the size of your unit. That said, I picked up some Kenko extension tubes for my D70. I am determined to shoot another small animation using the SLR instead of my Nikon 990.

Problem: You want to shoot things close up.

Solution #1: buy a micro (or macro depending on the company) lens

Solution #2: buy extension tubes.

The advantage of extension tubes is that they are the relatively cheaper solution going for around $200 compared to the micro lens going for about $750.00. They are lighter to carry around. There's no glass in them, they are just tubes that have pass through circuitry so the camera can talk to the lens for auto focusing. When buying your tubes make sure to look for this feature as not all tubes will have it. Also depending on the model of your camera you have to make sure to put the tubes and the lens on in the order the instructions tell you. Otherwise you can damage your camera.

The disadvantage of the extension tubes is that focusing is a bit more dicey. I find it's easier to moce the camera back and forth than rotate the focus ring. Also extension tubes do not work well with large aperatures or wide angle lenses.

After this post I'm sure you'll start seeing pictures of bugs and other small things as I "test" out the new equipment.

3 comments:

uncaringbear said...

I'll be very interested to see some more samples from your extension tube setup. Personally, I'd save up for a real Micro lens. I know they're horribly expensive, but no one makes better macro lenses then Nikon. Have you seen this new lens?

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18200.htm

It looks like a lens with awesome potential, and the specs are pretty unbelievable. I don't think I'll ever be able to afford the 70-200mmm VR lens, or my second choice, the 80-200mm AF-D. However, this new lens may beat those other two in several areas, and it's only a fraction of the cost.

Anonymous said...

um, I think I have some of those extension tube thingys, but I'm not sure... I got a camera given to me, not so long ago, with lots of lenses and some bells and whistles and things. It's an old 35mm SLR (anyone remember those?) and it has these weird lenseless tubes, which my father seemed to know all about, but I haven't had the opportunity to try them out yet. In fact, I've taken hardly any pictures at all and the bloody stupid battery died, and since it's not as OLD as my other cameras, the bloody stupid thing don't work AT ALL without a battery!! Give me good old mechanical technology! I don't even need the frigging light meter on my good ol' Practika. (Yes, D., I still use the Practika.) Hm, I wonder if the extension tubes will work on my other cameras...?

Anonymous said...

Hey Derek!

I'm glad that you finally made the plunge into macro with your "big" camera! uncaringbear is right, real macro lenses can be better because they're designed especially for macro work, but extension tubes, and/or bellows can do the job too! It's all about the glass after all. Macro photography was done for many years without lens designed for that purpose. Don't let the size of your gear make you feel inferior! Despite what the girls may say, it's the end result that counts. ;D